Wednesday 21 July 2010

T-oat-al joy

Another day, another rubbish pun!

When I found out I could eat oats again, a couple of months ago, I nearly cried (!)
I used to have porridge every day (so thick you could almost have sliced it, mmm) but when I was diagnosed with coeliac disease, that had to stop.

But, after three years of gluten-free cereal (rice and millet porridge just isn't the same) I found out that the reason oats are out for coeliacs is because they're almost always contaminated with other grains. They also contain a substance which isn't exactly the same as the gluten found in wheat, rye and barley but causes the same reactions in many people with coeliac disease. BUT supermarkets now sell guaranteed pure, uncontaminated oats and the medical advice is, try introducing them a bit at a time and see what happens.
So I scorched down to Sainsbury's and bought a bag of "free from" oats (stupidly expensive at £2.99 for 450g but I've since found cheaper and I think I'd have paid three times that!)

A week and no bad reactions later and..... breakfast bliss! And so many options... my favourite is cold porridge, or overnight oats.

I just put them in a box with enough water to cover them and then microwave them in the morning for a few seconds to take the chill off. I know there's a whole world of nut butter, fruit and chocolate possibility out there but, after three years without the King of Grains, I think simple is best...!

No comments:

Post a Comment